On this page you’ll find how-to tips, self-guided training tutorials, video demonstrations and lots of resources to help you make your way through Google’s G-Suite collection of apps and extensions. Activities you can do with students are also included.
To learn more about Google Drive, you can consult the following resources:
- Docs, Sheets, and Slides What are Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides? https://support.google.com/drive/answer/49008
- Google Docs: Formatting Text and Adding Hyperlinks https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/googledocuments/formatting-text-and-adding-hyperlinks/1/
- Google Docs Help https://support.google.com/drive/?hl=en
- How To: Use Google Docs http://www.mackenty.org/images/uploads/HOWTO_use_google_docs.pdf
- Share and Collaborate (a Google Docs: Document) https://support.google.com/drive/topic/2816927?hl=en&ref_topic=14940
- Google Docs in Plain English (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRqUE6IHTEA)
- Teachers and Principals Talk About Google Docs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPjJK6LZdM
- Manually upload files and folders to Google Drive https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424368?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
Five essential Google Drive skills to know
Excerpted from Tips for a Successful Google Apps Training Session (Richard Byrne, January 24, 2013 http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2013/01/tips-for-succesful-google-apps-training.html#.UitLALzdghM
- Open and Edit Word Files in Google Drive.
If you’re just beginning to transition to Google Apps from Microsoft Word, the chances are good you will have old files that you want to bring into and work on in Google Drive. For the detailed directions on how to do this, visit http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/12/how-to-open-and-edit-word-files-in.html
- Create PDFs in Google Drive.
Sometimes you don’t want a document to be easy to alter. Or you plan on printing it and want it as a PDF. To learn how to create a PDF in Google Drive in three easy steps, visit http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/11/how-to-create-pdfs-in-google-drive-in.html
- Use Google Documents Offline.
For those times when you don’t have an Internet connection and you want to work on a document, having offline access enabled is the only way to go. For directions on how to enable offline access to your Google Documents, visit https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375012?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Create and Organize Folders.
Do you want to have more organization in your Google Drive account? Then you need to know how to create folders and move files in, https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375091?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Curts, Eric (May 15, 2016). 12 excellent add-ons for Google Docs, http://www.controlaltachieve.com/2016/05/google-docs-addons.html. Also includes instructions for how to install add-ons and remove installed add-ons
- How to Share your Google Docs https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494822?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
For additional information see also, Change your sharing settings,https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494886?hl=en
- When a document is not shared, people who click on your link see see something like:
- By default your document is private!!!!!
- To share your document, click the Share button in the upper right corner of the Google Docs page
- Then click in the Sharing field for the Sharing List to show up.
- Choose whichever method best suits your need. Sharing only with folks in the gpsk12.org domain is a good choice.
- Click OK.
Google Sheets (Spreadsheets)
Byrne, R. (June 8, 2017). 5 neat things you can do with Google Sheets http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2017/06/5-neat-things-you-can-do-with-google.html – .WU5xylPyu3I
Enhance your Google Docs Spreadsheets with Images http://www.labnol.org/internet/images-in-google-spreadsheet/18167/. See also Insert images into a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=87037. Both of these are useful for inserting images in a cell. You can also insert a picture and have it insert over a region on a Google Spreadsheet. Just click Insert/image and drag an image into the box to upload it. Then place it wherever you want.
Getting Started with Google Sheets.https://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=20322&answer=140784&rd=1
Gmail: Tips and Tricks
- Filter mail older than a certain date http://it.fitnyc.edu/2014/05/23/gmail-tip-filter-mail-older-than-a-certain-date/. Useful tip for finding and deleting your oldest files.
- How to Print a Guest List From a Google Calendar Event http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2017/08/how-to-print-guest-list-from-google.html
Google Teaching Resources
- Need a timer to keep class activities on track? Go to Google.com, then type “set timer” into the search field followed by an amount of time and a countdown timer is displayed. An alarm beeps when time is up. You can make the timer appear full screen without advertisements by clicking a little box icon to the right of the timer (Richard Byrne tip, 8 free timers to help you keep activities on schedule, http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2017/08/8-free-timers-to-help-you-keep.html)